What do I need for new construction?

Refer to the following chart to see if you need Health Department approval for your building project:

Homes on sewer and public water ----->

No approvals needed by ESDHD

Homes on sewer and private well ------->

Town Engineer provides letter; applicant/ owner provides sketch (in-house review only)

Homes on septic and public water ------->

Building addition review needed

Homes on septic and private well ------->

Building addition review needed

Homes on septic and sewers are available ---->

Town Engineer must provide letter. Building addition review needed

To begin the approval process, refer to the checklist.


Some building projects require approval from the local health district before a building permit is issued. Obtaining approval from the local health district is a critical step to insure a safe and sanitary project that will pose no risk to you, your neighbors and future owners of the property. Obtaining approval from the health district does not need to be a stressful experience. The key to a timely approval is to be well informed and to provide all necessary information at the time of the initial application.

If you have any question about whether or not your project requires health district approval or you have any questions regarding these processes, please call our office at 203-481-4233. It is better to be safe than sorry.